CDR: A famine averted...

Jim Choate ravage at ssz.com
Tue Oct 3 05:58:46 PDT 2000

Hi,

The thesis has been made that all famines are the cause of government
intervention. I was asked to provide two examples.

I also thought of an example where a famine was averted due to government
intervention.

The current hurricane in Belize. Had the government not stepped in and
'price fixed' the stores would have been depleted and cached by the few a
week ago.

Why in major disasters do prices go up, when it is clear this is contrary
to the best interest of the market? That without price fixing the majority
of people will be left without. Why is this hands-off philosophy not held
accountable for its failings? I must assume that the resultant famine due
to price inflation by the individual resource owners is still a result of
that government interference. ;)

                     He is able who thinks he is able.

                                           Buddha

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage at ssz.com