CDR: Re: Niiice kitty.... (try 2)

Jim Choate ravage at ssz.com
Tue Oct 3 05:34:24 PDT 2000

On Mon, 2 Oct 2000, James A.. Donald wrote:

> Really?
>
>   Most Chomsky citations are extremely difficult to check, and a great many
> of them, strange to report, turn out to be entirely impossible to
> check.  You checked out half a dozen in a few minutes?  How very remarkable!

Most of the stuff in "Dettering Democracy" is newspaper articles, books,
and government reports. Much of it was sitting in the stacks at the UT
Austin library (UT Austin supports LANL which is a major Latin America
resource and "Deterring Democracy" is about central America in large
part). Wasn't very hard to check at all.

I've only read a couple of Chomsky's books (the other being parrt of "The
Chomsky Reader") so I can't speak to all of them.

But then again, your claim is that he DID cite non-existant sources or
took them out of context. Surely you can point to a single book, a single
chapter, and a single cite that you KNOW is provably incorrect or clearly
out of context. The difficulty of verifying the rest of the cites is moot
at that point after all.

Where is the bogus cite?

                     He is able who thinks he is able.

                                           Buddha