CDR: Re: Anonymous Remailers

Steve Furlong sfurlong at acmenet.net
Mon Oct 2 21:51:11 PDT 2000

Jim Choate wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Oct 2000, Steve Furlong wrote:
>
> > I'd also like discussions of real-world problems that people have found.
> > What kind of things cause you to think about shutting down your
> > remailer? Technical abuse, legal difficulties, or what?
>
> Lawyer fees. There is no clear mechanism to fund anonymous remailers and
> their resource requirements can be potent.

Quite a reasonable answer in today's America. But how much of your
answer is supposition based on the general climate and how much is
actual cases? If a remailer accepts all comers, with no filtering of
content, can he claim common carrier exemption from liability, or has
that been taken away <bleat>for the chiiiildren</bleat>?

In my case, I already have the hardware and DSL line, so the physical
cost might be a little extra electricity. No funding is necessary unless
the usage is so high that my ISP bitches at me. Personal time involved
in maintaining the system will, I hope, be low; if it's more than
negligible I won't be able to do it. I can see the sense of running the
plan past a lawyer, but why would there be a continuing expense in this
area?

Thanks,
SRF

--
Steve Furlong, Computer Condottiere     Have GNU, will travel
   518-374-4720     sfurlong at acmenet.net