CDR: Re: Down with techno-egalitarinism, from a reluctant cpunk

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Mon Oct 2 16:07:37 PDT 2000

At 5:05 PM -0400 10/2/00, Declan McCullagh wrote:

>Below is a response from one of the students, forwarded here with permission.
>
>-Declan
>
>******
>
>>From: "Christopher Fazekas" <chrisfazekas at prodigy.net>
>>To: <declan at well.com>
>>Subject: Your speech last night.
>>Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 14:23:41 -0400
>>     However, what makes this topic interesting, bothers me as well.
>>I was the individual who asked the "prepayment" question concerning
>>intellectual property and proper remuneration thereof. Fantastic
>>new economic models would be forced to be created to describe this
>>"market response" to the dissolution of intellectual property
>>rights. So, I will not venture an opinion on such subject. Yet, I
>>think it is important to mention that there is a fine line between
>>anarchism and libertarianism. At least I find there to be one.
>>Hence, when we talk about the overthrow of the nation state, it
>>sets off quite a few bells.

Not surprising that it should "set off quite a few bells." The
technologies are likely to profoundly change a lot of things, and
ring a lot of bells.

>>I do not believe judicial systems should be cast to the wayside in
>>favor of techno-egalitarianism, and I feel that the dissolution of
>>intellectual property would sincerely stress current social
>>institutions which I do not believe need to be overthrown, but
>>strengthened as government power is retracted. However, a case
>>could be made that the two are intricately connected to one another.

Christopher Fazekas is thinking about the issue from the wrong
perspective. It is not a matter of society deciding, or him deciding,
or the voters deciding, whether or not to "cast to the wayside"
certain systems, any more so than society faced a social decision to
accept or reject the implications of the printing press, or the
telephone, or technology in general. (See, for example, numerous
historical studies. A recent one is Ithiel de sola Pool's
"Technologies of Freedom," focussing on the telephone and its
implications for society.

A few societies have attempted to make the judgement call that some
technology, even a whole set of technologies, needed to be rejected.
China, for example, withdrew its trading/exploration fleets and
banned many technologies...this back in the middle of the last
millennium. (And, some would say, in later echoes...)

Usually it is well-nigh impossible to ban such technologies, and
rulers end up fighting delaying actions only. Examples abound in the
past century, from control of birth control information to control of
copying machines. I think it certain that strong crypto and its
implications is already well along and cannot be reversed or even
effectively reigned in. (Metaphors as appropriate: genie out of the
bottle, Pandora's box open, fire already stolen from the gods, horses
out of the barn, etc.)

I expect that Mr.  Fazekas, now that he has been more thoroughly
exposed to these ideas, will be able to see the upcoming "fork in the
road":

Path 1: Strong crypto is restricted, communications are widely and
pervasively tapped, the First and Fourth Amendments are gutted, rules
of evidence are changed, all financial transactions are required to
be reported, communication across national borders is restricted,
travel to foreign nations is strictly controlled, etc.

(I'll leave it for a later discussion, if there's any doubt, about
just how difficult it has already become to attempt _any_ of these
measures. I spelled it out in 1988 in my Crypto Anarchist
Manifesto--transparent borders, satellites, steganography, etc. Kevin
Kelly's book "Out of Control" includes my circa 1990 outlook on the
difficulties facing those who would attempt to control bits.)

Path 2: Citizen-units ignore rules (a la Napster, Gnutella, Freenet),
they do what they want. Lots of bandwidth sloshing around, lots of
"degrees of freedom" (a key concept from control theory/physics, and
a good punning connection to crypto anarchy). Governments freak out
as the sheeple are downloading files, vising Neo-Nazi and porn Web
sites, exchanging lists of those Clinton had killed, and so on.
Clerics call for more control, ragheads demand disconnecting from the
Satanic West. Politicians scream about "saving the children." But
nothing does more than slightly slow the inrushing wave. Governments
warn about how digital money will undermine tax collection and faith
in the entire system...Cypherpunks say "Yep, that's what we were
saying more than ten years ago." Academics write papers on the
implications of regulatory arbitrage, on the undermining of
international law. Meanwhile, more bandwidth, more untaxed
transactions, more offshore gambling, more porn, more political
sites. Even women in Saudi Arabia discover that birth control
information denied to them locally is available on the Net...though
they'd better use anonymous remailers and ZKS and Mojo Nation!

Is there a "middle path"? Can the center hold, as the Brits would ask?

Doesn't look like it to me. Oh, sure, there will still be taxes. The
governments can still tax houses, and cars, and threaten meatspace
people with various dire actions if they don't cough up some geld to
the protection racket. But the exponential increase in bandwidth and
the accompanying degrees of freedom will forever change things
politically.

And this is not new. I mentioned printing. It revolutionized Europe
and led to the destruction of guilds--the "intellectual property"
holders of their day. (Make no mistake, the Guild of Leather Tanners
"owned" their knowledge in a way quite similar to how modern
corporations and governments claim to own knowledge.) Printing made
"how to" books possible (the next most popular books after religious
hymnals and bibles). The power of guilds began to decline. Likewise,
religion changed dramatically...courtesy of "95 Theses" and
accessibility of pamphlets and bibles written in the common languages
of the time.

The Industrial Revolution was another "knowledgequake" which
triggered vast changes in the landscape of politics, the law, and
everything else. Including taxation, interestingly enough. (Left to
the reader to consider how modern factories made possible certain
types of taxation and centralization of power.)

Suppose an earlier version of Mr. Fazekas was asking whether these
changes--printing, steam engines, factory production,
electrification, automobiles, computers, the list is long--should be
"allowed"? Allowed by _whom_?

Now, I grant that we don't know yet know if the Net and its related
technologies (crypto, notably) is comparable to the invention of
printing and the Industrial Revolution. Or even as important as the
telephone.

Personally, I think the Net--or, more broadly, the colonization of
cyberspace--is a dramatic, world-changing event. Not exactly a
surprising revelation to most folks today, given the changes in just
the past five years that Web browsers have been commonly available.
But profound nonetheless.

Where will government be in twenty years? What will happen to local
laws when cyberspace makes movement around the world so easy? When
regulatory arbitrage moots nearly any law? When untraceable and
unbreakable crypto allows "impenetrable bobbles" (a la Vinge) to be
erected at will? When digital reputations, handled on a peer-to-peer
basis and not subject to "top-down" commands, become the currency of
cypherspace?

Unrealistic? Check back in a decade and see where things are headed.

Meanwhile, I welcome Mr. Fazekas to our community.

--Tim May
"Cyphernomicon"             | black markets, collapse of governments.