CDR: Re: AES winner to be announced Monday.

Arnold G. Reinhold reinhold at world.std.com
Mon Oct 2 05:24:17 PDT 2000

The following information from the Rijndael Page
http://www.esat.kuleuven.ac.be/~rijmen/rijndael/index.html may come
in handy later today when NIST announces the new Advanced Encryption
Standard (AES):

'Rijndael FAQ

     1.How is that pronounced ?
        If you're Dutch, Flemish, Indonesian, Surinamer or
South-African, it's pronounced like you think it should be.
Otherwise, you could pronounce it  like "Reign Dahl", "Rain Doll",
"Rhine Dahl". We're not picky. As long as you make it sound different
from "Region Deal".

     2.Why did you choose this name ?
        Because we were both fed up with people mutilating the
pronunciation of the names "Daemen" and "Rijmen". (There are two
messages in this  answer.)

     3.Can't you give it another name ? (Propose it as a tweak!)
        Dutch is a wonderful language. Currently we are debating about
the names "Herfstvrucht", "Angstschreeuw" and "Koeieuier". Other
suggestions are welcome of course. Derek Brown, Toronto, Ontario,
Canada, proposes "bob".'