Power politics

Somebody Somebody
Sun Oct 1 12:42:05 PDT 2000

Bob,

I've been reading Noam Chomsky's book on Kosovo and came across this
quote from a Cabinet note written by Churchill in January 1914
explaining the need for increased military expenditure (taken in turn
from Clive Ponting's Churchill, 1994, P 132):

"We are not a young people with an innocent record and a scanty
inheritance.  We have engrossed to ourselves an altogether
disproportionate share of the wealth and traffic of the world.  We
have got all we want in territory, and our claim to be left in the
unmolested enjoyment of vast and splendid possessions, mainly
acquired by violence, largely maintained by force, often seems less
reasonable to others than to us."

I thought you might appreciate it.

<Somebody's .sig>

--- end forwarded text

--
44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA
"...our claim to be left in the unmolested enjoyment of vast and splendid
possessions, mainly acquired by violence, largely maintained by force,
often seems less reasonable to others than to us." -- Winston Churchill,
January 1914