CDR: Re: Niiice kitty....

James A.. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Sun Oct 1 20:10:13 PDT 2000

     --
 > I've been reading Noam Chomsky's book on Kosovo and came across this
 > quote from a Cabinet note written by Churchill in January 1914
 > explaining the need for increased military expenditure (taken in
 > turn from Clive Ponting's Churchill, 1994, P 132):
 >
 > "We are not a young people with an innocent record and a scanty
 > inheritance.  We have engrossed to ourselves an altogether
 > disproportionate share of the wealth and traffic of the world.  We
 > have got all we want in territory, and our claim to be left in the
 > unmolested enjoyment of vast and splendid possessions, mainly
 > acquired by violence, largely maintained by force, often seems less
 > reasonable to others than to us."

Chomsky is hardly a reliable source.  He routinely fabricates or falsifies
quotes.  I suggest you check his alleged sources.

Chances are you will be unable to find his alleged source.  In the unlikely
event that you are able to find it, it will not say quite what Chomsky
claims it said.

     --digsig
          James A. Donald
      x0mHawqf6qCPceEVKqvbMFm+dlud44bypomUe7yL
      4fNdHawWLRaiwAZBTwUDBTep99D3yN2eWM3SZs4Xc