online copy of Vinge's True Names

obvious at beta.freedom.net obvious at beta.freedom.net
Thu Nov 30 10:06:48 PST 2000

> > Check the HTML source
> > The page contains the text of a story, but there are HTML errors that
> > prevent it being displayed on my browser)
> > Adding a </table> at the end fixes it.
>
> ... or just use lynx.

This points to one of the big wins of XML over HTML.  Parsers are not
allowed to guess at the meaning of invalid XML with unbalanced tags and
such.  Today we have the problem that people create bad HTML but don't
know it because it looks OK on their browser, which overlooks some errors.
Then it fails on someone else's browser.  With XML there is a standard
about what works and what doesn't, and so you know that if your parser
can read it, everyone else's can too.

XHTML is the XML-ized version of HTML.  It's mostly compatible with
HTML but inherits the strict grammar from XML.

Obvious.