CDR: Re: ecash, cut & choose and private credentials (Re: Jim Bell)

Ben Laurie ben at algroup.co.uk
Thu Nov 30 00:52:37 PST 2000

Apologies for indirect routing :-)

> Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 22:41:07 -0500
> From: Adam Back <adam at cypherspace.org>
> To: cypherpunks at cyberpass.net
>
> Unfortunately both Brands' and Chaum's ecash and credential schemes
> are patented.  David Wagner et al also had some ideas about an ecash
> coin [3] composed roughly of a public key based MAC (ie the user can't
> verify the validity of the coin directly -- only the bank can do
> that), plus a zero-knowledge proof that the bank hasn't marked the
> coin.  This may be unpatened in that it's not directly a certificate,
> it's a MAC, plus a zero-knowledge proof so it seems like a fairly
> different process.  I don't think you can do efficient offline ecash
> with Wagner et al's mechanism -- I'd guess it's more comparable with
> the functionality offered by Chaum's blind signature.

I'm not sure what you think the requirements for "efficient offline
ecash" are, but I should note that the double-blinded version of lucre
doesn't require the ZKP, and there's also a non-interactive variant of
the ZKP for the single-blinded variant. They are both described in the
current version of the paper (at least, I'm sure the first as, and
somewhat sure the second is).

Cheers,

Ben.

--