CDR: Re: Sunders point on copyright infringement & HTML

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Wed Nov 29 19:24:05 PST 2000

At 4:57 PM -0600 11/29/00, Jim Choate wrote:
>Sunder raises a good point about Netscape (and potentially other software
>as well) amd forwarding URL's with attached content.
>
>Why is the page attached? Because Netscape attaches the page and doesn't
>offer a way to send only the URL from right click -> send page. There
>isn't a switch to set default behaviour (and there should be).
>
>So, if you got a bitch about your copyright being infringed, take it to
>Netscape since they wrote the program without a mechanism that prevents
>users from committing copyright infringement.

As you like to say, "Bullshit!"

I sometimes excerpt articles here. And to avoid the problems with
HTML and "too much" and "too many headers," I usually have to spend
time cutting and pasting from my screen to ensure that "What I See Is
What I Send" (WISIWIS).

I urge _you_ to spend the extra minutes to avoid sending us the
clutter you think Netscape requires you to send.

Get a clue.

>As to using HTML, this is 2000 (soon to be 2001). Get used to it. Hell, I
>might start embedding ANSI VT100 color codes and the occassional ^g.
>Animated ANSI would be pretty cool too.

No, HTML is _not_ a good idea in e-mail. People are reading e-mail on
a variety of platforms, on HP Jornadas, on Palms and Visors, on
iPAQs, and so on. And HTML in e-mail rarely is used to any
significant effect.

You, Greg Newby, and Ernest Hua are the main offenders. I urge you
all to get a clue.

(And then there's Riad Wahby, whose signed messages are unopenable by
Eudora Pro. He is doing _something_ which makes my very-common mailer
choke on his messages. Not my problem, as his messages then get
deleted by me unread. Again, standard ASCII is the lingua franca
which avoids this problem.)

--Tim May
--
(This .sig file has not been significantly changed since 1992. As the
election debacle unfolds, it is time to prepare a new one. Stay tuned.)