CDR: RE: Jim Bell

Andrew Drapp andrew.drapp at hitachi-eu.com
Wed Nov 29 09:14:37 PST 2000

Anonymous wrote:

> You're assuming an offline cash system with embedded identity.  It is
> more likely that initial digital cash implementations will be online.

And...

> Offline cash really can't compete.
> Attempting to trace, identify, catch and punish double spenders will
> be overwhelmingly more expensive than simply checking directly that the
> cash hasn't been spent before.

I have to day that I strongly disagree with the above.  There are
several current offline ecash systems which do not require expensive
(or even require at all) systems on checking double spent value.

Specifically I am referring to Mondex.  While there are several
disadvantages to Mondex, and the fact that it is not truly anonymous,
it does currently allow secure offline transactions.

Regards,

Andrew Drapp

--
Andrew Drapp <andrew.drapp at hitachi-eu.com>
PGP Encrypted Email Preferred (KeyID 65A52F89)

 E-mail Confidentiality Notice and Disclaimer

  This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed. Access to this e-mail by anyone else is unauthorised. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited.
  E-mail messages are not necessarily secure.  Hitachi does not accept responsibility for any changes made to this message after it was sent.
  Please note that Hitachi checks outgoing e-mail messages for the presence of computer viruses.