CDR: Re: Lost password

Eric Murray ericm at lne.com
Wed Nov 29 10:28:49 PST 2000

On Tue, Nov 28, 2000 at 10:07:47AM -0800, Console Cowboy wrote:

> Has anyone though about setting this list to only accept mail from it's
> members?

It's been proposed many times, and each time there's a storm of protest
that 1) anonymous remailers wouldn't be able to post (not true) and 2)
spam is free speech (arguable when the recipients pay for its delivery).

It won't happen any time soon.

I filter out most of the spam by sending anything posted to the
toad.com address to a seperate folder.  The bulk of cypherpunks spam has
historically been sent to the old toad address, although that seems to
be changing.  I also filter spam by running an experimental filter I
wrote that recognizes spam text (www.lne.com/ericm/spammaster).

Sometimes I forge unsubscribe messages to the spam lists that the
cypherpunks list gets subscribed to...  I encourage others to do the same.

--
  Eric Murray           Consulting Security Architect         SecureDesign LLC
  http://www.securedesignllc.com                            PGP keyid:E03F65E5