CDR: Re: Carnivore Probe Mollifies Some

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Wed Nov 29 07:19:11 PST 2000

On Tue, Nov 28, 2000 at 11:40:10PM -0500, Tim May wrote:
> I want Bush to become President so I can see at least a few years of
> another party in power before going ahead and advocating that they

Maybe. But there is a substantial law and order wing in the Republican
Party led by snoophappy folks like Bill McCollum, who shared the stage
with Bush at rallies. That by itself guarantees that at least some
GOPers will be pushing for more surveillance than done under
Clinton. Further, many of the important day-to-day decisions are left
up to mid-level bureaucrats and not all are among the 2,000 or so
presidential appointees. Finally, some of the conservative groups that
have been most vocal in Carnivore-opposition will not be as eager to
criticize a Bush administration. And I can't see liberals at PFAW etc.
being quite as aggressive.

I should write an article about the above.

> ALL be killed and that Weapons of Mass Destruction be used to
> eliminate the nest of vipers on the Potomac.

Sure you haven't done that already? :)

-Declan