CDR: Re: Vinge

Harmon Seaver hseaver at harmon.arrowhead.lib.mn.us
Wed Nov 29 05:24:45 PST 2000

Tim May wrote:

> Well, this is what you get for not reading--or at least not
> remembering--list traffic. The forthcoming "True Names" re-issue has
> been discussed several times, including mentions in the last few
> months by both myself and, IIRC, Bill Stewart.
>
> Here's what I wrote the last time the "The Ungoverned" was discussed"
>
> "Vinge just won a second Hugo Best Novel for "A Deepness in the Sky,"
> so maybe this means the long-delayed re-issue of "True Names" will
> finally happen. (Alas, my essay for it was written several years ago,
> so is even more out of date. From the instant publishing on the Net
> to several years' delay in publishing in pulpspace.)"

    Yes, I remember you saying "maybe this means...."  --- but when? I want
to read it now.

> Also, a simple query of Amazon turns up the re-issue of "True Names."

     And they also say "March 2001", but given the fact that the print
industry is much like the software industry in vaporous publishing dates,
who knows when?. Amazon compounds this by advertising all sorts of books,
etc. that they don't have in hand.
      But I'll probably buy the new edition when it comes out. I spend
ridiculous amounts of money on books every month anyway. Just went to one of
those remaindered book outlets last weekend and bought 6-7 books, then went
to Barnes & Noble and bought more.
       Like I said, I'd really be happy running a used book store. Guess I'm
just a book freak.