CDR: Re: Vinge

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Tue Nov 28 23:07:36 PST 2000

At 10:24 PM 11/28/00 -0500, Tim May wrote:
>Considering that the new edition of "True Names" is just about to
>appear, and has a bunch of related essays in it, I certainly wouldn't
>have paid $25 for the pb.

*Is* it finally about to appear?  It's been just about to appear
Real Soon Now for the last couple of years, I gather due to
Stupid Publisher Tricks.  It'd be nice if it finally happens.

Meanwhile, A Local Cypherpunk has my copy (relatively large print
paperback, found for about $4 in a used book store);
there was at some point a plot to scan and OCR the thing,
though I'm not sure that ever materialized.

>>       Used book stores -- sigh! Sure wish I could afford to quit the
>>computer racket and run a used book store instead.
>
>A _physical_ used book store? Surely you are kidding. My experience
>is that used book stores are employers of low-wage
>people...suggesting slim profit margins.

My wife used to program for a calendar publishing company,
located upstairs from the used book store operated by the same people.
The bookstore was an expensive habit, subsidized by the
real business; fortunately the size of the place (large but full)
put limits on the owners' bookbuying frenzies :-)

Of course, if you're in the SF Bay Area and *want* to work in
a used bookstore, there's a local religious cult that runs
a really good one in downtown Mountain View.

				Thanks!
					Bill
Bill Stewart, bill.stewart at pobox.com