DCSB: Win Treese; So, Where's All the Financial Cryptography?

R. A. Hettinga rah at shipwright.com
Tue Nov 28 11:09:19 PST 2000

[Note that the Harvard Club is now "business casual". No more jackets and
ties... --RAH]

          The Digital Commerce Society of Boston

                         Presents

                        Win Treese,
                   Fellow, VP Technology,
                     Open Market, Inc.

                       Fermi's Revenge:
        Systems Thinking for Financial Cryptography

                 Tuesday, December 5th, 2000
                         12 - 2 PM
              The Downtown Harvard Club of Boston
                One Federal Street, Boston, MA

The technology of financial cryptography has promised many changes for
the way that individuals and organizations do business, yet little
progress has been made in real systems. In part, this is because the
technology proposals--the crypto, the protocols, and occasionally
code--are usually presented with little or no context for the total
system in which they play. This talk will look at some of the systems
issues, both technical and non-technical, that are critical for
successful implementations of financial cryptography.

Win Treese is a Fellow and Vice President of Technology at Open Market,
Inc. At Open Market, he has contributed to the architecture and
implementation of many of its products, with a particular focus on
security. Before co-founding Open Market in 1994, he was a member of the
research staff at Digital Equipment Corporation's Cambridge Research
Laboratory. In 1999, Win was named a "High-Tech All Star" by Mass High
Tech. He is co-author of the book "Designing Systems for Internet
Commerce" and chairs theTransport Layer Security (TLS) Working Group of
the Internet Engineering Task Force.

This meeting of the Digital Commerce Society of Boston will be held on
Tuesday, December 5th, 2000, from 12pm - 2pm at the Downtown Branch of
the Harvard Club of Boston, on One Federal Street. The price for lunch is
$35.00. This price includes lunch, room rental, A/V hardware if
necessary, and the speakers' lunch. The Harvard Club has relaxed its
dress code, which is now "business casual", meaning no sneakers or jeans.
Fair warning: since we purchase these luncheons in advance, we will be
unable to refund the price of your meal if the Club finds you in
violation of what's left of its dress code.

We need to receive a company check, or money order, (or, if we *really*
know you, a personal check) payable to "The Harvard Club of Boston", by
Saturday, December 2nd, or you won't be on the list for lunch. Checks
payable to anyone else but The Harvard Club of Boston will have to be
sent back.

Checks should be sent to Robert Hettinga, 44 Farquhar Street, Boston,
Massachusetts, 02131. Again, they *must* be made payable to "The Harvard
Club of Boston", in the amount of $35.00. Please include your e-mail
address so that we can send you a confirmation

If anyone has questions, or has a problem with these arrangements (We've
had to work with glacial A/P departments more than once, for instance),
please let us know via e-mail, and we'll see if we can work something
out.

Upcoming speakers for DCSB are:

TBD         Ted Byfield      Decentralized DNS Control
TBD         Scott Moskowitz  Watermarking and Bluespike

As you can see, :-), we are actively searching for future speakers. If
you are in Boston on the first Tuesday of the month, are a principal in
digital commerce, and would like to make a presentation to the Society,
please send e-mail to the DCSB Program Committee, care of Robert
Hettinga, <mailto: rah at shipwright.com>.
--
44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA
To unsubscribe from this list, send a letter to: Majordomo at reservoir.com
In the body of the message, write:  unsubscribe dcsb-announce
Or, to subscribe,           write:  subscribe dcsb-announce
If you have questions, write to me at Owner-DCSB at reservoir.com

--- end forwarded text

--
44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA