CDR: Re: Imagine

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Tue Nov 28 09:21:37 PST 2000

At 11:45 AM 11/28/00 +0000, Ken Brown wrote:
>Which is exactly what the current US situation looks like to most people
>outside the US. It presumably seems different to the Americans
>themselves (or at least the Republican voters amongst them), but to the
>rest of us the whole thing cuts heavily at Bush's credibility

Oh, my - you're saying that Bush has *credibility* in the rest of the
world?  :-)

This reminds me more of the tail-wagging-the-dog situations that
parliamentary systems get into when some minor religious party
or right-wing-wackos or the Monster Raving Loonie party gets to
tell the bigger party what to do because they need three more seats
for their coalition.

Too bad Florida has a winner-takes-all system - under proportional
representation they'd have been done weeks ago, with
one electoral vote for Nader, 12 for Gore, and 12 for Bush,
and that would fairly accurately reflect the opinions of Florida's voters,
unlike the current situation where the margin of error in the counts
is much wider than the difference between the totals.
And it's not even available as a compromise, because Gore's in the lead
without the Florida votes, so that would give him the election.
				Thanks!
					Bill
Bill Stewart, bill.stewart at pobox.com