CDR: Re: Jim Bell arrested documents online

Tom Vogt tom at ricardo.de
Mon Nov 27 09:17:49 PST 2000

David Honig wrote:
> >rest assured, once the government stops doing so (e.g. by disappearing),
> >corporations *will* start to raise armies of their own.
>
> Hmm.  Corporations are the equivalent of wealthy individuals.  Nothing
> special about 'corps' as synthetics.  So equivalent
> to, say, criticising a Mafia Don.

not quite on the first point, but the 2nd comes closer. the difference
between individuals and corps is that the corp has far more assets and
activities to protect and that it usually has more than one mind. every
large corp is at least a little shizophrenic - look at IBM for a good
example.

> But yeah, everyone would have their own police if there were no common
> one.  Hmm, That's an irony of anarchy, that it turns into a tessellation
> of police(d) microstates real quickly.

it' just a logical step. if robbing your electronics storehouse is no
longer illegal because there's no law, or no government to enforce it,
then you have to take steps yourself.

I wonder whether taking over the government is economical. i.e. if the
government were to disappear, would it be more cost-efficient for the
corps to take over as rulers or to hire armies and only defend
themselves?