CDR: Re: Jim Bell arrested, documents online

Tom Vogt tom at ricardo.de
Mon Nov 27 03:11:38 PST 2000

Jim Choate wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Nov 2000, Ray Dillinger wrote:
>
> > There are certain problems that no other solution for has ever
> > been found.
>
> And this one doesn't either.
>
> > There has never been a human society that did not kill people.
>
> People kill people you idiot. Don't confuse WHAT and HOW something is done
> with the WHY.
>
> 'the government' never did a damn thing. It can't because it isn't.

bzzt, wrong.

see, "the government" is collecting taxes. hold on, hold on! let me
finish the paragraph, please. and sit down. thanks.
now, you'll of course say that some *people* are collecting the taxes.
yes, there are some accountants who do the physical job. but they are
not only 100% replacable, they will also say - if asked - that they do
it *for* someone, i.e. "the government". yes you are right that if
everyone on the planet would reject a job as tax collector, there would
be no tax collectors. however, we are all aware that saying something
like "everyone" when you're referring to several million/billion/lots-of
people doesn't work. so for practical purposes, the tax collectors can
be ignored in the very same sense that *I* am writing this mail, not the
keyboard I'm typing on.

the point is: any sufficiently large group of people develops structures
and dynamics that go beyond the individual persons. that's pretty much
an accepted fact ever since DeBono, i.e. 1915 or whatever it was.