CDR: RE: Re: Jim Bell arrested, documents online

Trei, Peter ptrei at rsasecurity.com
Mon Nov 27 07:29:54 PST 2000

> ----------
> From: 	Greg Newby[SMTP:gbnewby at ils.unc.edu]
> "de puta madre!"
>
> But seriously, folks: How would you work with a like-minded
> distributed group to murder someone?  Preferably with guaranteed
> no risk of discovery or prosecution to the participants.
>
> - Would we need to assume the someone would be the "hands," e.g.,
> your good ole' professional hit-man?  How would s/he be contacted?
>
> - How would the person be paid?  How would the money be collected
> from the different people who pay?
>
> - What trust model would work?  Would it be more desirable for
> all players to be completely anonymous?  Cells of people who know
> each other?
>
> - Could this all be done legally (without the individuals who
> are planning and paying needing to commit any crimes)?
[...]
>   -- Greg

Um, governments and organized crime achieve this goal on a
regular basis.

Governments by having an effective monopoly on violence in a
given area (George the Second bears the blood of over 300
people who presented no threat to society (they were already
incarcerated)).

Organized criminals by having the resources and manpower to
effectively separate the person ordering a hit from the person
doing the hit, and to cover up the evidence.

Beyond that, even non-distributed murders are often unsolved,
especially when there is no pre-existing link between murderer
and victim (eg, many serial killers).

Peter