CDR: Re: Jim Bell arrested, documents online

David Honig honig at sprynet.com
Sun Nov 26 10:09:09 PST 2000

At 10:35 PM 11/25/00 -0500, Jim Choate wrote:
>On Sat, 25 Nov 2000, David Honig wrote:
>> At 11:11 AM 11/24/00 -0500, Greg Newby wrote:
>> >Do people on this list really believe that the solution to
>> >problems is to kill people?
>>
>> What we believe is not important.
>
>"Baaah" by any other name smells as cowardly.

So when the physicists were discussing fission in the 40's,
and some didn't want it to be used for bombs, did it matter?

Nope.  They were finding out something about reality, and others
would find out too; and once physics is known the possible applications
follow.

Your "morals" don't affect reality any more than they persuade
others.  If you're the first to discover something, you can sit
on it, this is your only power.  But guess what: others will come.  If
Einstein had stayed a patent clerk we'd still have fission by now.

Anonymity and anonymous cash are fundamentals.  AP is an application.
Bell, Chaum, etc. can be silenced.  Reality can't.