CDR: Re: Jim Bell arrested, documents online

Ray Dillinger bear at sonic.net
Fri Nov 24 10:36:27 PST 2000

On Fri, 24 Nov 2000, Greg Newby wrote:

>Do people on this list really believe that the solution to
>problems is to kill people?
>
>Or are we just getting sarcastic and frustrated?

There are certain problems that no other solution for has ever
been found.  There has never been a human society that did not
kill people.  Even countries that don't execute criminals still
slaughter enemy soldiers and civilians when they go to war.

You can regard killing, of certain types of people anyway, as a
service industry.  Like all services, less of it is provided (and
at a much higher cost) if there is a monopoly on it.  Since we
tend to like a minimum of killing, but are willing to pay the
high costs for the truly necessary amount of killing, humans
have mostly seen fit to institute monopolies on killing, regulate
them fairly tightly, and refer to them as governments.

In a governed state, it is your civic duty to uphold the monopoly.
You must refrain from doing the killing yourself unless the power
to kill delegated to the government is redelegated to you by the
government.  In an ungoverned state, it is your civic duty to stop
psychopaths and sociopaths yourself, since you've no government to
delegate that duty to in the first place.  And to do so, generally
you must kill.

The "Needs Killing" verbiage you see here, I think, is mostly from
people who, correctly or not, tend to think in terms either of there
not being any governments, or in terms of the government being so
ineffective that they are effectively in an ungoverned state.

				Bear