CDR: Re: Jim Bell arrested, documents online

John Young jya at pipeline.com
Thu Nov 23 09:19:00 PST 2000

Ken Brown wrote:

A thoughtful summary of non-US-centric view of how US technology
could, probably will, come back to haunt and harm it.

One of the ways the US will be harmed is by provoking its
government to crackdown on what it will define as illegal
use of technology. To be sure, these perceived threats will
come from within the US as from outside.

I have seen no media attention given to DoD Cohen's warning
that technology is empowering the citizenry, business and US
allies to threaten US supremacy. Comparable, say, to the
DoJ's and the FBI's well-advanced orchestration of a global
cybercrime (successor to organized crime) fighting regime.

The acceleration of transfer of national security technology to
domestic law enforcement agencies in many countries shows
that borderlessness between external and internal threats
is becoming the norm. Such that the most advanced technology
once devoted to combatting foreign enemies is now aimed
at the populace in disregard of their home countries and
the once-vaunted privilege being free of threatened by their
own governments.

Ken's point that AP is likely to be implemented by a non-US
against a US target is shrewd, and Usama Bin Laden has just
about pulled that off. If he disappears but his agenda continues
that will be pure AP. This is not to say that Bin Laden is not a
fictional-demon of the USG, forever eluding capture -- until
the moment is right to implement a Pablo Escobar.

Isn't it likely that Jim Bell is just a ploy the feds are using to
arouse the tax resisters in the Northwest?

>Anyway, big companies make big targets for some kinds of
>revolutionaries, as do big fortunes. Some of them like killing the rich.
>This already happens. Not a lot, but it happens. AP might make it more
>common.

Good point, and one that the feds will happily adopt, for it is often
used by the US to warrant its need for a massively overkill defense
apparatus -- not that it ever does much with its vaunted hardware
except provide sitting ducks.