CDR: Re: Jim Bell arrested, documents online

Sampo A Syreeni ssyreeni at cc.helsinki.fi
Wed Nov 22 23:33:48 PST 2000

On Wed, 22 Nov 2000, Tim May wrote:

>>[Snip on a service provider's butt hanging out...]
>
>Someone offering some prize, or some payoff, or some lottery, need
>not be in an identifiable, traceable location.

Somehow it seemed to me that this was all about a big brother type of state,
where provision of anonymity services would hardly go unpunished. Bear
argued, more or less, that if AP should ever come true, the courts would let
the end justify the means. The viewpoint is not entirely consistent with the
assumptions behind AP.

>Once decoupled from a DNS or address, and motivated by reputation,
>expectation, and other Bayesian issues, then the CP Server can itself
>post anonymously.

If anonymity is available. AP assumes that. I'm not entirely sure Bear did.

>>The host of the site is the only one with his ass left hanging out.
>
>There is no need to have any such site. Think Mojo. Think BlackNet.
>Think peer-to-peer.

Multiple hosts. What's the difference besides the number of Men needed to
take them *all* down?

Of course, given anonymity, everything you say makes perfect sense.

Sampo Syreeni <decoy at iki.fi>, aka decoy, student/math/Helsinki university