CDR: Re: Carnivore All-Consuming

David Honig honig at sprynet.com
Mon Nov 20 08:36:03 PST 2000

At 10:34 PM 11/19/00 -0500, Jim Dixon wrote:
>> A PC, using off-the-shelf HW, is capable of filtering a full 100 Mbps link
>> (144K packets/sec) as demonstrated by the BlackICE products
>> http://www.networkice.com/html/blackice_sentry.html
>
>First, like any other manufacturer's claims, these should be treated
>with some skepticism.
>
>Second, this is an intrusion detection system.  I suspect that they
>are looking for something simpler than what Carnivore is trying to
>detect.

Run a raw tcpdump on a machine with 2 cpus, maybe filter online
with something simple (like IP addr) and reconstruct offline.

You're not analyzing on line, you're recognizing addresses and
DMAing buffers which are flushed to nonvolitile storage.

Re: monitoring an OC-XXX with overt access is just a matter of how much you
can pay for fast electronics.

Take a look at the Caida.org folks' work on monitoring backbones.

Carnivore in its current state may well be a point-tool intended
for leaf-node ISPs, but you can certainly extrapolate to Carnivore 2.0
for Gigabit Ether.   "Just plug your boxes through ours and you'll be
CALEA-compliant, and no more hassles from us.."  An optical tap
(essentially a fiber optic beamsplitter) would be fairly fail-safe to the ISP.