CDR: Re: ssz.com network trouble

Jim Choate ravage at EINSTEIN.ssz.com
Mon Nov 20 08:07:56 PST 2000

Hi Bill,

On Sat, 18 Nov 2000, Bill Stewart wrote:

> I did a traceroute (well, mswindoze tracert, anyway), and got a
> "destination unreachable" from a machine at realtime.net in Austin.
> SSZ has often been unreliable;

Unreliable? We average six and eight month uptimes. And when the outages
occur it has been either hardware failure or a service failure. We
average 2 hardware failures per year and it usualy(!) takes less than 4
hours to have it replaced (not bad for off the shelf consumer equipment).
A scratch OS re-load is a 2hr downtime. I have the system down less than 8
hours a month (usualy only a few minutes at a time) for routine
maintenance and cleaning. We usualy get about 4 service interruptions of
some sort or another a month. They usualy last about 4 hours. The section
of town I live in is over 100 years old and in major reconstruction so
this isn't too bad. Irrespective, there isn't anything I can do about
those anyway.

At your age, you wish you were as regular as SSZ is.

> I think it's connected by ISDN, and it's raining down in Texas.

Yes, we had a ISDN/Ethernet issue. Replacing the hardware with a suitable
model was harder than expected, coudn't find anyone open with stock on
Saturday.

As to rain, 4in/hr is a tad more than a sprinkle junior.

                     He is able who thinks he is able.

                                           Buddha

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage at ssz.com