CDR: Re: Aces high (long reply)

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Fri Nov 17 12:05:50 PST 2000

At 1:02 AM -0500 11/17/00, jonathan at screaming.org wrote:
>  > Even if meant in jest, as a comment on the situation, it undermines
>>  the basic issue of law.
>
>Hear hear.
>
>I have to say that I agree that what has been proceeding in FL has the
>possible impacts of undermining some basic issues of Constitutional
>Law(tm). Unfortunately, I also have to agree (on this one issue) with
>Commrade Troll G. Orwell vis-a-vis Mr. May's objectivity on this
>point(*).

"Objectivity" is subjective. The Dems say they are being "objective"
about continuing to count and scrutinize and challenge "third
trimester pregnant chads." The Reps say they are being "objective" by
following the law. The Dems say they are being objective by saying
the law is something different. And so on.

Look, I would feel just as offended if the Dems had won the legal
count in Florida and the Reps had then trotted out some Good Ole Boys
and brought in David Dukes of the KKK (*) to argue along the lines of
"Shit, we done got _con-foosed_ by that there ballot, cuz we planned
to vote for our man Bush and we done got con-foosed by all the holes
on that there ballot."

(* David Dukes being the parallel to Jesse Jackson, who has called
New York City "Hymietown" and who has called for a race war if Al
Gore is not annointed.)

I confess to having held my nose and voted for Bush, as the Lesser of
Two Evils. My brother put it well, paraphrasing what he told me:
"Bush is an idiot. Gore is a robot. I am voting on just the one issue
which matters most to me: my gun rights. Gore wants to take away
private guns, and Gore will appoint Supreme Court judges, so I am
voting against Gore. Against Gore, not _for_ Bush."

Having made my confession, does this affect my evaluation of the
circus in Florida?

Perhaps a bit. But, as my "Close Elections and Causality" piece
outlined, fairly objectively I think, the circus was predictable just
as soon as all the charges about how Event A "caused" the outcome
could be raised.

"The butterfly ballot _caused_ Al Gore to lose votes, and hence the
official count."

"The networks calling Florida a Gore win before the polls closed in
the Panhandle _caused_ more than the margin of disputed voters to go
home before voting, and so that _caused_ the current problem. Bush
easily would have gotten an extra few thousand votes."

And now the latest: "It's not right that absentee voters who don't
even live here will _decide_ the outcome."

All of these putative causes ignore the _causality_ arguments I made
earlier. The 300 absentee ballots from Wiesbaden and Ramstein and Tel
Aviv are NO MORE IMPORTANT than any other group of 300 ballots. Their
_apparent_ importance is an artifact of the order in which the ballot
results came in.

What does this have to do with Jonathan's points? I'm trying to
explain why I am so pissed off with the pissing and moaning about how
the Official Count (Bush ahead by 305 as of 11:20 PST) is symptomatic
of our pissing and moaning society.

And, yes, I would be about as angry if it were Good Ole Boys pulling
the same stunts if Al Gore were to be legitimately ahead.

By the way, as I have said more than once, I'd almost rather have
Gore win. Though I would likely dislike his Supreme Court nominees,
it's now unlikely he can ever get anything done. Ditto for Bush,
which is good. However, if Gore loses, his nattering nabobs like
Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, Carol Roberts ("I'm willing to go to
jail!"), and Alec Baldwin ("I'll leave the country if Bush wins.",
and so on, will mobilize and will probably swing to the left and will
win the Congress back in 2002 and probably will annoint Hillary as
their candidate in 2004.

Better to have Bush and his folks sniping from the sidelines for the
next four years than this horrible outcome.

>a) The state of Florida has a recent history of poorly conducted
>elections, with allegations of tampering, confusion, etc. like those
>we now hear being relatively commonplace.

Not really. New Mexico, Wisconsin, and Illinois appear to have more problems.

The "allegations of confusion" are recent. Sure, one can always find
some idiot who can't follow simple instructions. As some are saying,
this election shows that maybe too many Floridian retirees are being
kept alive too long by medical science.

In any case, demanding selective recounts to bolster one side or the
other is not kosher.

If machine balloting, which has until now been seen as a _step
forward_, is to be replaced by partisan hand-counting, we will have
worsened things, not made them better.

There are some important CRYPTO-related points here.

First, "bit commitment." This is the notion that a piece of
information NOT KNOWN TO EITHER SIDE is "committed to." A flipped
coin that is covered by a hand. Or a coin still in the air. (The
outcome has not been committed to, but the process is assumed to be
beyond the influence of either side.)

This is equivalent to both sides saying IN ADVANCE that they
understand that while machine ballots may not be perfect, because
nothing is, that they accept the outcome of a machine count ABSENT
COMPELLING EVIDENCE OF FRAUD. That is, in advance of the vote they
acknowledge that a machine ballot represents our best technological
solution to the problems of counting millions or tens of millions of
ballots.

Bit commitment = acceptance of the rules

(The "Absent compelling evidence of fraud" covers the case where a
machine has been altered, where the software is defective, etc. It
should NOT include some argument that manual recounts may turn up a
slightly different count and thus alter the results given by the
machine count. I don't believe either the Dems or the Reps would
have, IN ADVANCE of the election, accepted a proposal that close
elections should be hand-counted in the hopes that "noise" or
"jitter" in the process would alter the outcome.)

Second, and closely related, is the issue of "current knowledge." The
essence of many crypto protocols is that the rules don't change in
midstream. This is whey we speak of "fair arbiters," perhaps related
to escrow agents and n-out-of-m votes.

So what we are seeing now is both sides, but especially the
Democrats, trying to change the rules, picking selective precincts to
recount, and arguing for exceptions to the legal rules...all based on
INCOMING AND CHANGING INFORMATION.

The lawsuits, for example, are being filed based on expectations of
outcomes. Hence the blizzard of suits.

(I have more to say on this topic, but will pass on it for now.)

>b) The above notwithstanding, Florida state LAW dictates that
>Candidates may LAWFULLY request manual recounts of ANY or ALL counties
>of their choosing, providing such requests are filed within 72 hours
>of the election, and providing they meet other LAWFUL criteria
>(emphasis mine, obviously, to make the point that the relevant
>statutes don't state that any particular party must be given a clear
>advantage in such proceedings, eg. because he's Jewish, or because
>Crack Whores like him, etc.--see (f) below).

By the way, I'd favor a system where those calling for recounts pay
the full costs.

And I doubt strongly that some peon can call for such a
recount...it's all controlled by the main parties.

And every state has language saying that votes may be challenged.
Fair enough. I'm not suggesting otherwise.

But if machine balloting is the technology agreed-upon by all major
sides--Dems and Reps--and, indeed, if both major sides had
_lobbied-for_ the new technology of machine ballots, then IT IS NOT
KOSHER for a challenge to be of this form:

"Yes, we as Democrats lobbied for machine voting. Yes, we controlled
the Florida legislature during the many decades during which this was
debated. Yes, the machines were installed during the reign of Lawton
Chiles. Yes, yes, yes. But, now that we appear to be behind in the
machine count, we are hopeful that reverting to the older, more
error-prone system of manual counts will possibly give us the margin
of votes we are praying for."

This is the essence of changing the rules based on incoming
information. This is why "bit commitment" means the ground rules are
established beforehand, before any such incoming information is
available.

The Dems would be outraged if a machine count favored the Dems but
some Good Ole Boys were dragging out the process in the kind of
circus we are seeing now. And they would be justifiably outraged.

And, I think I can assure you, I would not be arguing for the Good
Ole Boys' position on the basis of rabble-rousing rhetoric like "But
the true will of the people must be heard!"

Rules are rules. The voting procedure was established and agreed-to
by both major parties, perhaps even all N national parties. (I don't
know about this, but I assume it to be so.)

Legal challenges to the outcome should only be allowed if evidence is
presented of significant fraud. The fact that the hand count shows
different results than the machine count is not such evidence.

(And, indeed, advocates of various kinds of balloting have had many
years, many decades, to publish learned articles on chads, pregnant
chads, undercounts, mutilated ballots, dimples, etc.)

>c) The results of the Florida election remain within a win/lose margin
>much smaller than the statistical margin of error of *any* counting
>system (by at least one order of magnitude), regardless of counting
>mechanism. (Many invokations of the statistics of scale have been
>brought to bear on this point in this forum, but the reality remains
>that by any rational statistical analysis, the state of Florida must
>be considered a draw. No amount of recounting--or lack
>thereof--appears to negate this fact. To argue FOR recount after
>recount is as statistically invalid as is to argue for NO recounts, as
>is to argue for a die toss, a card game, a duel (my favorite, as
>someone must die), etc. When a binary decision margin is smaller than
>the statistical margin of error, the answer is UNDEFINED. Duh.)

I generally agree. However, "must be considered a draw" is not part
of the rules and laws established beforehand. A winner is always
assured, except in the vanishingly-small chance of literally a draw.

(And, even then, the case should not then be thrown in the courts to
debate whether a particular piece of chad was dimpled, or a swinging
door, or whatever. This just throws the election to a panel of
partisan judges.)

>f) Getting back to Florida's current problems, and (b) above, if GWB's
>camp had been on the ball, they'd have requested all of their
>recounts, manual or otherwise, within or without of Florida, by the
>damn deadlines. Instead, they were too busy Spinning for the Crowd
>about how He'd Won (by a statistically invalid margin), and only too
>late realized that AG's campaign had taken LAWFUL means to dispute the
>Arrogant Son's ascension to his Invalid Throne.

You're more cynical than even I am. You are right that the Reps
failed to bring in enough high-powered NewYork Jewish lawyers. Al
Gore hired better shysters than George Bush did.

As I have said, this election may well be won by the same lawyers who
got O.J. Simpson off.

(And a big part of me would be thrilled. Already the chad rooms (pun
intended) are buzzing with calls to start killing lawyers, to cut off
all welfare systems, to "take back our country.")

>g) Based on all of the above, the act of a Candidate exercising his
>right to call for per-state sanctioned recounts, of whatever
>prescribed manner, should not be abbrogated, in case of the event that
>a statistically valid margin can be demonstrated, in however partisan
>a manner (they've both got the same rules to play by). This is what we
>call the Rule Of Law (cf. May above). Any Secretary of State,
>Candidate, or Lawscum seeking to abbrogate that process has earned
>killing.

The conversion from hand-counting to machine-counting was a good one.
Despite what the Democrats are saying about "Bush trusts machines,
not people," both parties and a majority of legislators clearly
understood that there may be differences between machine counts and
hand counts.

Arguing in favor of hand counts, AFTER THE MACHINE COUNTS ARE KNOWN,
is not, as I keep saying, kosher. The real argument is not that hand
counts are fairer, but that Al Gore may get some additional votes.

I hope Al Gore uses his New York shysters to steal this election.
Then the real fun will begin.

--Tim May
--
(This .sig file has not been significantly changed since 1992. As the
election debacle unfolds, it is time to prepare a new one. Stay tuned.)