CDR: Re: Florida reject stats

Ken Brown k.brown at ccs.bbk.ac.uk
Fri Nov 17 04:35:56 PST 2000

George at orwellian.org posted:

[...snip...]
> http://foxnews.com/election_night/111600/uncounted.sml
[...snip...]
> #
> #    Some counties had startlingly large numbers of ballots that
> #    weren't counted. All three of these used punchcards:
> #
> #    - In Miami-Dade County, 28,601 ballots were not counted in the
> #    presidential race, out of about 654,044 cast.
> #
> #    - In Palm Beach County, home of the controversial "butterfly
> #    ballot," 29,702 votes weren't counted out of 462,888 total.
> #
> #    - In Jacksonville and surrounding Duval County, 26,909 votes
> #    went uncounted out of 291,545 cast.

At last someone mentioned the numbers!

I make that about 4.4% uncounted in Dade (top of the normal range I
guess), 6.4% in Palm Beach (bad) and 9.2% in Duval (pathetic). The
voters of those counties have every right to complain. Whether or not
that should effect the outcome of your nationwide election is, I
suppose, up to your constitution. (Of which my own limited
I-am-neither-a-lawyer-nor-an-American understanding agrees with  the
entity posting as "Jonathan"'s: