Schneier: When is a Signature not a Signature? When it's a chad.

Somebody Somebody
Thu Nov 16 10:09:43 PST 2000

Bruce falls into the same error he points out: attempting
to devine intent rigorously.  In fact there lots of ways
humans have agreed to evidence agreement, and none of
them are tamper proof.  Much of the corporate
world runs on electronically printed signatures for checks,
there is a long and illustreous history of signet rings and
carved chops being used as contractual evidence...  His
argument is equivalent to saying that we should not accept
a corporate check because the computer room could
have been hacked, or that King X should not accept the
seal of King Y because his nemesis might have snuck in
at night and borrowed it from his finger while he slept,
or that Wu-san's chop had been copied by an expert
carver.  (and I'm certain such events have in fact occurred.)

I think his only valid point is that digital signatures are
not somehow better.  What they do provide are
1) an interesting possibility for _remote_ contracting, and
2) a way for computing machinery to do things analogous
to humans contracting with each other.
Both of these are important and will likely yield lots of
exciting new applications.

Bruce should keep in mind that the Digital Signature Law
recently enacted basically says that no signature will be
deemed invalid _purely_ because it is electronic in nature.
It doesn't say that computation of m^e mod n constitutes
Alice's intent to sign.  It does say that if Alice and Bob
agree to use such a digital mechanism to evidence intent,
then they may.

And just as we are learning this week that a "vote" is
a more ambiguous concept than we may have intuitively
thought, a "signature" has _never_ been a black-and-white
expression of human intent, simply one piece of evidence
in a sometimes cluttered, occasionally fraudulent, and
always contestable world.

--- end forwarded text

--
44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA