CDR: Re: CIA proctologists

Ray Dillinger bear at sonic.net
Wed Nov 15 17:56:49 PST 2000

On Wed, 15 Nov 2000 anonymous at openpgp.net wrote:

>US Citizenship is required, as is successful completion of a medical evaluation, polygraph interview and an extensive background investigation.
>
>A "medical evaluation"??
>
>http://www.odci.gov/cia/employment/jobpostings/architectstud.htm

Pretty standard procedure.  A medical evaluation can detect drug
users, alcohol users, people whose brain chemistry is different,
etc.  It can also detect people who are likely to be more or less
expensive to insure, people who need drugs (from insulin to
psychopharmaceuticals) to function normally, and people with more
than a "reasonable" number of knife-fight scars, which might
indicate that someone is too rash or hotheaded.

It also gets them DNA samples etc, which they can later use to
positively identify you if you ever get implicated in anything
criminal or controversial.

And finally, they will wind up knowing all about your tattoos
and brands if any, which will point out people who were in certain
gangs and societies during certain time periods.

That's just part of the job.  If you're going to handle secret
material for any government, that government will want to know
everything about you no matter how invasive, and they will want
to own every possible bit of leverage anyone can have on you,
and they want to be damned sure that no one else has any leverage
on you that they don't know about.

Medical examinations are just one aspect of that.

I bet they audit someone's taxes for the last six years before
they hire them, too.

				Bear