CDR: Florida situation keeps changing...

George at Orwellian.Org George at Orwellian.Org
Wed Nov 15 06:34:45 PST 2000

Let's see...

A lawyer for Bush held a street corner news conference
saying he's caught one of the Palm Beach County election
officials dropping some questionable ballots into Gore's
pile. Both the lawyer and the official share the name Carol,
I think.

The Florida Secy of State, (Bush FL co-campaign manager,
$6.5 millionare, spent $100,000 of the state's money on
trips to Brazil and such, made a get-out-the-vote ad
with taxpayer money featuring Schwartzkopf), has filed
with the FL Supreme Court to consolidate all possible
lawsuits and asks that the counties be told to stop
recounts. Basically, to take over decisions. Odd,
given that they're heavily Democratic. (appointed, at least)
I guess Bush plans on going to the U.S. Supreme Court.

Palm Beach County election officials haven't started a recount.
They are discussing changing the "chad" rules so that even
an indentation (without a corner of the chad detached) can
be ruled as a choice. Apparently there were a significant
number of party-line votes for every (one party) office
except for president, and many were indented for president.
Hey, maybe the card was stiff there. Someone had statistics
showing few people vote for every office but president.

I still can't imagine using these sort of cards at all,
since I remember as an operator I would riffle Hollerith
cards a few times before putting them in the hopper, to
avoid jams. I wonder if there's an official procedure
for the operator to riffle in consideration of the
detachable chads.

And, oh yeah, the U.S.P.S. announced they've sped up
delivery of any absentee ballots.