CDR: Re: Gary Chapman On Online Voting, Even if Secure, Won't Solve

David Honig honig at sprynet.com
Tue Nov 14 18:04:20 PST 2000

At 01:55 PM 11/14/00 -0500, Matthew Gaylor wrote:
>DIGITAL NATION
>
>Online Voting, Even if Secure, Won't Solve Election Troubles

I was in a discussion about this a while ago, where I was defending
absentee ballots (as making it easier to vote), and in the process
learning about attacks on electronic and social voting systems.

What I found is that every tech is going to have societal attacks
even if the protocols are perfect.  Spouses brow/beating spouses with
home voting (regardless of tech); authentication (of dead pets..);
collaborations breaking protocols, rigged tech, etc.  Attacks and
weaknesses.  Hollerith cards have the recently apparent weakness that the
perforations may not fall out.  To say nothing of the recently evident
human factors whining, as readily misinterpreted in phosphor as in ink.

Though perhaps the "Are you sure [y] [n]" dialog box would increase
reliability.

Maybe the election observers the Cubans have volunteered will have more
ideas..