CDR: RE: A secure voting protocol

Trei, Peter ptrei at rsasecurity.com
Tue Nov 14 13:08:01 PST 2000

      Peter Trei wrote:
> > Also, if you want to get high tech, use a fluorescent dye mixed
> > with DMSO. It'll penetrate deep into the skin, and be visible under
> > UV (no cosmetic objections). I suspect it'd take weeks to wear off.
>
>       Can't imagine mixing dye with DMSO -- if you've ever played with
> DMSO, you'd know that putting a little anywhere on your skin brings it
> into your mouth, and everywhere else in your body, within seconds. You can
> taste it almost immediately, and any chemical combined with it is also
> carried throughout the body, which is often not a good idea.
>      But the dye-dipped finger is a good idea, which would also negate the
> need for those little "I voted" badges.
>
> Harmon Seaver, MLIS	Systems Librarian

Good point - I've played with dyes (histology work)
but not DMSO.  I guess your entire body would
glow under UV :-)

Actually UV flourescent dyes might not be so good,
since an application of SP50 sunscreen might stop
them from showing.

But I have no doubt that a  semi-permanent dye mark
can be engineered. It only has to resist removal for
about 12 hours.

Peter