CDR: Re: A secure voting protocol

Trei, Peter ptrei at rsasecurity.com
Tue Nov 14 07:43:46 PST 2000

> From: 	Ken Brown[SMTP:k.brown at ccs.bbk.ac.uk]
>
> Bill Stewart wrote:
> > and that the people who voted all existed and were unique,
>
> That's the hard part. Do you have to give id to vote? Here we don't, so
> impersonation is possible. Rare I think (doing it enough times to
> influence a nationwide, or even a city or county -wide election would be
> risky) although it is rumoured to be traditional in parts of Northern
> Ireland - from where it was rumoured to have been exported to parts of
> north America :-)

One solution I've seen used in 3rd world countries is to require people
who have just voted to dip a forefinger into a cup of intense, penetrating
dye, which they are very unlikely to be able to remove in one day.

I can state from personal experience that Silver Nitrate solution will
produce stains on skin which gradually blacken in the light, and
don't come off till your skin wears off. Mixing the dye with a
transport agent such as DMSO would also work.

Peter Trei