CDR: Re: A secure voting protocol

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Tue Nov 14 09:55:01 PST 2000

At 12:34 PM -0500 11/14/00, sunder wrote:
>"Trei, Peter" wrote:
>>  One solution I've seen used in 3rd world countries is to require people
>>  who have just voted to dip a forefinger into a cup of intense, penetrating
>>  dye, which they are very unlikely to be able to remove in one day.
>
>Wouldn't some sort of wax spread on the hand prevent such a dye from
>working once peeled off?  i.e. I'm thinking along the lines of liquid
>latex or crazy glue like substances... :)

The dye works well. While hackers like us can _imagine_ ways to
circumvent the dye, most such circumventions are hard to actually
pull off.

In any case, a better solution (no pun intended) than the current
system in which folks in Milwaukee got to vote multiple times.

And better for various reasons than requiring identification credentials.

--Tim May
--
(This .sig file has not been significantly changed since 1992. As the
election debacle unfolds, it is time to prepare a new one. Stay tuned.)