CDR: Re: A secure voting protocol

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Mon Nov 13 20:31:43 PST 2000

On Mon, Nov 13, 2000 at 02:41:14PM -0800, Tim May wrote:
> At 5:53 PM -0500 11/13/00, Declan McCullagh wrote:
> >On Mon, Nov 13, 2000 at 11:08:01AM -0800, Tim May wrote:
> >>  A "vote at home" protocol is vulnerable to all sorts of mischief that
> >>  has nothing to do with hackers intercepting the vote, blah blah.
> >
> >Righto. Absentee ballots require a witness, usually an officer (if
> >you're in the military) or a notary-type, to reduct in par tthe
> >intimidation problem.
>

> California absentee ballots require no such thing. My parents, as I
> said, voted absentee California for many years. They simply filled
> out their absentee ballots and dropped them in the mailbox.

Ah, I was talking about Florida law. To wit:

a.  One witness, who is a registered voter in the state, must affix
his or her signature, printed name, address, voter identification
number, and county of registration on the voter's certificate. Each
witness is limited to witnessing five ballots per election unless
certified as an absentee ballot coordinator. A candidate may not serve
as an attesting witness.

b.  Any notary or other officer entitled to administer oaths or any
Florida supervisor of elections or deputy supervisor of elections,
other than a candidate, may serve as an attesting witness.

-Declan