BSA deploys imaginary pirate software detector vans

Neil Johnson njohnson at interl.net
Mon Nov 13 17:12:13 PST 2000

The general idea is to pick up and decode the RF emissions generated by the
CPU, Memory, I/O and Video systems to figure out what the computer is doing.

It takes some work (not as much as you would think), but there have been
documented demonstrations where the video signals from a PC were picked up
and reproduced on another monitor several hundred feet away.

TEMPEST is the "code" name for the U.S. Governments standards for shielding
computer equipment used for classified work inorder to prevent such
eavesdropping.

The technique is often referred to as "Van Eck Phreaking" (sic).

Neil M. Johnson
njohnson at interl.net
http://www.interl.net/~njohnson
PGP Key Finger Print: 93C0 793F B66E A0C7  CEEA 3E92 6B99 2DCC