CDR: Re: Close Elections and Causality

Jim Choate ravage at ssz.com
Mon Nov 13 15:13:08 PST 2000

On Mon, 13 Nov 2000, Ken Brown wrote:

> It is if I have a vague idea how big a county is.

There is no standard size. Usualy county lines are drawn for historical
reasons. Though at time of statehood this does get reviewed and modified.

> If a state the size of Florida has 60-ish counties I would be surprised if
> many of them had populations much over about million or less than 100,000
> if the counties were reasonably randomly populated (if there has been
> an attempt to equalise the populations then even more so)

Texas has over 200. Some have several M (I live in Travis and it has 1M,
Harris Country [Houston] probably has close to 5M) a couple in W. Tx. have
only a few thousand.

I'd be surprised if many (any?) states have any sort of program to get
people to perferentialy live in certain counties. I suspect the other
counties might get upset.

I suspect Florida is quite similar.

                     He is able who thinks he is able.

                                           Buddha