CDR: Re: Late-postmarked ballots from ZOG-occupied Palestine

Ken Brown k.brown at ccs.bbk.ac.uk
Mon Nov 13 03:28:32 PST 2000

Tim May wrote:

> The solution has been obvious for a long time: absentee ballots must
> be received by the close of business on the polling day. Those who
> know they are going to be out of their voting area must mail their
> ballots in time to arrive. This eliminates this particular hazard.

When I was listening to the news last Tuesday it took me a while to
realise that this *wasn;'t* the case. It seems so sort of obvious you'd
think it would have been adopted years ago.

Back in the 1940s and 50s bookies in England used to take bets on
photofinishes. One man made himself a fortune, by always standing
exactly on the finish line waiting for a photo-finishs in which the
horse farthest from him had crossed the line first. The bookies stopped
taking his bets.

In UK (for what its worth) postal votes have to be in by a fixed date
that is up to a week before the election day. They are opened in the
presence of the candidate (or their agent), counted, then the returning
officer and the agents agree on the total, fill in a form, sign it,  and
the ballot papers and the forms are sealed (hey, a protocol! Almost
on-topic!)

Spoiled ballots are also handled by the candidates agents on the night
of the election.  They stand across the tables from where the votes are
being counted (hand counting of course, none of your new-fangled stuff)
and are allowed to look but not touch. Any dubious papers are discussed.
Usually you manage to agree on how to count them.

Ken