CDR: Re: Close Elections and Causality

Kevin Elliott k-elliott at wiu.edu
Sun Nov 12 11:06:34 PST 2000

At 12:38 +0000 11/10/00, Ken Brown wrote:
>But are there no rules in Florida allowing for a re-vote? If there
>really are 19,000 spoiled papers from once county, that sounds "massive"
>to me. It may not be fraud - the fools who designed the papers probably
>thought they were doing right - but it has the same effect.

This is why people who don't know statistics should not be allowed to
think... By no means is that number, by itself, of any significance
whatsoever.  How many got canceled last election- one number I heard
said 14,000.  If so then 19,000 is about what one would expect
considering increased voter turnout and normal statistical
fluctuations.  More importantly, the ballot was approved by both
parties before the election took place.  If they didn't bitch then
they don't have the right to bitch now.
--

"As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both
instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly