CDR: Re: Declan on Bell

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Sun Nov 12 09:22:59 PST 2000

     --
At 02:31 PM 11/11/2000 -0500, Declan McCullagh wrote:
 > I'm not taking a position on Bell's case. I do need to tell my
 > readers why was locked up earlier, and that seemed a reasonable way
 > to do it.  Bell was not coerced into taking the plea agreement;

All plea agreements are coercive.  The serious charge that the prosecutor
threatens the accused with necessarily has some relationship to evidence
that the prosecutor possesses, or else it would not be a threat.

The alternative lesser charge that the prosecutor offers need have no
relationship to the evidence, and usually has no relationship.   It is a
mere formality.

Even in non political cases, there is a strong tendency to make the lesser
charge something that is wrong it itself, rather than a lesser form of the
more serious charge, to make the lesser charge a crime something where
police and prosecution have more support than they have for the more
serious charge.

     --digsig
          James A. Donald
      T76DpThszKKJrrCcPnJOs48j5JDhlfDF9ZnRo3VC
      4O4kvplrNHWQ1q3tJVEFxtxt18VXyP0hSmVTx5zoL