CDR: Re: Response to false statements about Zero-Knowledge

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Sat Nov 11 11:42:33 PST 2000

Austin,

Thanks for your note. I respect what you're trying to do at ZKS. I think
that if ZKS succeeds, the world will be a better place. Further, I have a
tremendous deal of respect for some of the very excellent people you have
hired.

But wishing something to be true does not make it so. My statement about
ZKS' sluggish Freedom sales is based on extensive conversations over the
last year with folks in this industry, web searches to see how many ZKS
nyms appear to be in use, ancedotal information, and conversations with
other ZKS employees.

As Greg says below, I was writing an article with
less-than-perfectly-complete information, but information that I have and
had every reason to believe is accurate. You did nothing to refute that
belief, and saying "[we are] pleased with our results for Freedom" is an
analytically and semantically null statement. The Subject: line of your
message complains about "false statements," but you offer nothing by way of
identification and refutation.

As you say, you did send a note to my Wired editor demanding a retraction.
You received a response yesterday saying that Wired identified no errors of
fact in my article and you were welcome to submit a letter to the editor. I
hope you will, and I wish you luck at ZKS.

Yours,
Declan