CDR: Re: Looking for statistically-unlikely surges in absentee ballots

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Sat Nov 11 11:20:31 PST 2000

On Fri, Nov 10, 2000 at 12:47:45PM -0800, Tim May wrote:
> I just heard Karen Hughes of the Bush Campaign express concern about
> the status of absentee ballots being mailed AFTER the outcome of the
> election was shown to be so close. In particular, after the legal
> cut-off date.

Here's a link to the Florida law on absentee ballots:

---
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch0101/SEC67.HTM&Title=->2000->Ch0101->Section%2067

(1) The supervisor of elections shall safely keep in his or her office
any envelopes received containing marked ballots of absent electors,
and he or she shall, before the canvassing of the election returns,
deliver the envelopes to the county canvassing board along with his or
her file or list kept regarding said ballots.

(2) All marked absent electors' ballots to be counted must be received
by the supervisor by 7 p.m. the day of the election. All ballots
received thereafter shall be marked with the time and date of receipt
and filed in the supervisor's office.
---

I must be missing something. Sure looks like the deadline was Tuesday,
with perhaps an exemption for overseas ballots elsewhere in the law?

-Declan