CDR: Re: A successful lawsuit means Gore wins!

William H. Geiger III whgiii at openpgp.net
Fri Nov 10 15:53:33 PST 2000

In <Pine.LNX.3.96.1001110171824.730z-100000 at einstein.ssz.com>, on 11/10/00

   at 05:19 PM, Jim Choate <ravage at ssz.com> said:

>On Fri, 10 Nov 2000, William H. Geiger III wrote:

>> I am not sure that they would as this seems to go against the 22nd
>> Amendment. While the 22nd doesn't specifically address an appointed acting
>> president I doubt that the new congress would be inclined to keep Clinton
>> around nor would they want to create more problems while trying to
>> straighten out the current mess.

>I am also not sure. It's the reason I was asking if this might be a way
>around the 22nd. After all it isn't an election but an appointment by
>Congress until the election is resolved.

I am rather torn on the issue. On the one hand leaving Clinton in would
lend an appearance of stability "we are not changing anything until we get
this mess sorted out" while on the other hand I feel that it would
interfere with the principle that "the office is stronger than any one
man". We have dealt with war & assassinations and still have been able to
change Presidents without problems. As things look right now I don't see
the US facing any immediate crises that would mandate keeping Clinton in
office (something major like nukes going off, full scale domestic revolt,
...ect) so I am leaning to congress appointing someone other than him to
act as acting  President until the mess is straightened out. Wether that
person is a Democrat or a Republican doesn't seem that important as he
really wouldn't be doing anything unless we wind up at war with someone.

If this election does wind up being decided in Congress it will be the
biggest game of chicken since the Cuban Missle Crises. Should be
interesting to see who blinks first.

William H. Geiger III      http://www.openpgp.net
Geiger Consulting

Data Security & Cryptology Consulting