CDR: Re: A successful lawsuit means Gore wins!

Jim Choate ravage at einstein.ssz.com
Fri Nov 10 13:24:20 PST 2000

On Fri, 10 Nov 2000, Trei, Peter wrote:

> One of the good results of the current stalemate is that many of us are
> getting crash courses in constitutional law.
>
> This is covered by the Presidential Succession Act of 1947. See
> http://www.greatsource.com/amgov/almanac/documents/key/1947_psa_1.html

Actualy it isn't. It's covered by the 20th amendment, section 3.

It also invalidates the point Declan was trying to make on the 12th (guess
he should take his own advice).

http://lcweb2.loc.gov/const/amend.html

Section 3. If, at the time fixed for the beginning of the term of
President, the President elect shall have died, the Vice President elect
shall become President. If a President shall not have been chosen before
the time fixed for the beginning of his term, or if the President elect
shall have failed to qualify, then the Vice President elect shall act as
Presdent until a President shall have qualified; and the Congress may by
law provide for the case wherein neither a President elect nor a Vice
President elect shall have qualified, declaring who shall then act as
President, or the manner in which one who is to act shall be selected, and
such a person shall act accordingly until a President or Vice President
shall have qualified.

Looks to me like Congress could leave Bill in office until this mess is
over. Like I said, is this a new way to win a 3rd term?

                     He is able who thinks he is able.

                                           Buddha

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage at ssz.com