CDR: Yer Mahm...

R. A. Hettinga rah at shipwright.com
Fri Nov 10 11:41:29 PST 2000

At 1:38 PM -0500 on 11/10/00, Furlong, Steven wrote:

> Robert Hettinga wrote:
>>...The one person I fear more than Tim May, maybe even
>>my Roslindale Attorney, being me dear Mum... :-))
>
> You think you got it bad? _My_ mom is a small-town deputy.
> And she drives a pickup. The only saving grace is there isn't
> a shotgun rack in the pickup.

*My* mom will be 79 next month. She has spent most of her spare hours, as
long as I can remember, in Republican politics in various places, from El
Paso to St. Thomas to Anchorage to St. Louis to Dallas, and, finally, to
Albuquerque, where she's now lived for almost 20 years. The Republican
Party being where, as most people probably know, the women do all the work
and the men just walk around like they own the place -- just so you know
where *I* got it from. :-).

She retired with real estate broker's licenses in three states that I know
about, Missouri, Alaska, and Texas. Maybe also New Mexico, too, for all I
know.

She's personally gotten a couple of dozen people elected, the one of
longest record being Alaska's Congressman Don Young, for whom she run an
RCC-decorated phone-room get-out-the-vote operation. Young's still on the
Hill, stuffing those pork barrels and with yours and my money and packing
them off the almost-wilds of Alaska, or at least Los Anchorage, where all
his votes *really* live.

One of her memories (besides telling Ronald Reagan to his face in no
uncertain terms that he was damn well going to get Carter elected in 1976
if he didn't sit down and shut up :-)) was baby-sitting one George Herbert
Walker Bush one St. Louis day in the middle 70's, when he was between jobs
and nobody really wanted to talk to him at the time...

At the moment, if she's not contemplating the Ruin of the American Republic
at the Hands of Albert Gore, Jr. (our favorite scenario was him buying off
the electoral college), her having been a poll-judge at almost every
election I can remember until the last few, she's probably yelling
"Recount!", into the phone, at the top of her lungs, an the Appropriate
Duly-Constituted Legal Official about that something-hundred-vote squeaker
in New Mexico that she *knows* Bush *really* won. :-).

Cheers,
RAH
--
44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA