CDR: Re: A successful lawsuit means Gore wins!

Ken Brown k.brown at ccs.bbk.ac.uk
Fri Nov 10 04:50:19 PST 2000

Jim Choate wrote:

> What happens if by the day the new president is to take his oath there is
> still no clear winner?

IANAL nor even a USAn but I think your constitution says that the
President is chosen by the electoral college. They can - and I assume
will - choose a President with or without the representatives of
Florida. The legal issue is between the people of Florida (some of who
claim to have been disenfranchised) and their state government. If it
isn't settled, the rest of the USA will choose the President & some
Floridans will get very cross. You can find copies of your country's
constitution online, if you aren't near a library.

> Even if the candidates get together and one is a
> gracious loser, the trauma won't be lessened.

I'm sure it would, but it is hard to imagine them doing it.

> There will be literaly no
> faith in the president. What would Congress need to do in order to pass an
> emergency resolution that would allow the current president to stay in
> office until the issue is resolved.

The issue is resolved when the EC choose the new President.

[...snip...]

> This will probably distract the military from as many foreign involvements
> as well. There will be no clear foreign policy. This could have
> devastating effects for many of the high tension areas (e.g. China -
> Taiwan). It will probably effect global terrorism as well. We'll also see
> an increase in espionage as well. This could effect future crypto regs in
> a negative way as well. Cyphers and paranoid politicians.

Eh? Was this pasted in from another topic? How does this "distract the
military"? If they are like any other countries military they will be
quite happy to get on with their own agenda. Do you think that the
government of China really cares a dam who you elect as President?  Or
that "global terrorism" will increase because policy-making in
Washington is slowed down? Or even that policy-making in Washington will
be slowed down. You have lots and lots of civil servants over there who
will carry on in their jobs with or without t

And when was the last time there was a "clear foreign policy" anyway?

Ken, confused.