CDR: Re: A successful lawsuit means Gore wins!

Jim Choate ravage at ssz.com
Fri Nov 10 05:20:20 PST 2000

On Fri, 10 Nov 2000, Ken Brown wrote:

> IANAL nor even a USAn but I think your constitution says that the
> President is chosen by the electoral college. They can - and I assume
> will - choose a President with or without the representatives of
> Florida.

Go read the 12th. It all assumes the basic vote is valid. This is the same
mistake Declan made in his (typically) self-inflating way.

And then ask yourself, ok. Let's assume that the vote does go to the EC as
it stands. The people in general won't have any faith in the results. Now
Congress recognizes this and decides to step in per the 12th. Will this
resolve the issue? No. Most people are still going to see a bad election
followed by the people who managed the bad election (in principle if not
practice) making the choice. Another indication of 'vote value' or lack of
it.

However it goes, this one is going to wake some folks up.

> Floridans will get very cross. You can find copies of your country's
> constitution online, if you aren't near a library.

It will be more than Floridians.

> > Even if the candidates get together and one is a
> > gracious loser, the trauma won't be lessened.
>
> I'm sure it would, but it is hard to imagine them doing it.

See Kennedy/Nixon.

I agree with your last statement, you are confused.

                     He is able who thinks he is able.

                                           Buddha

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage at ssz.com