CDR: Re: building codes, property rights (follow up)

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Thu Nov 9 14:36:51 PST 2000

At 5:11 PM -0500 11/9/00, Bill Stewart wrote:
>At 11:09 AM 11/9/00 -0500, David Honig wrote:
>>So Tim is right --there are no constraints on his property, unless he wants
>>to improve or sell it.
>>
>>Or the government needs it for a freeway...
>
>Heh.  Having seen Tim's property, at the edge of a fairly high hill,
>that'd be a pretty entertaining freeway....
>

>More to the point, if Tim wanted to rent his spare bedroom to somebody,
>there'd be a whole raft of constraints and requirements.

Remember, I was very careful in what I said. I didn't say there were
no constraints/encumberments on renting, or selling, or adding on,
whatever. I said, quite carefully, that "there is nothing I am
required to have in my house."

To his credit, David Honig checked with a legalgrub acquaintance of
his and confirmed what I said.

>I have one friend whose agreement with his housemate was that
>she wasn't a tenant paying rent, because then he'd be a landlord
>being regulated and paying income taxes - instead she was a housemate
>paying her (large) fair share of the utilities, maid service,
>maintenance, swimming pool cleaning, etc.

I have a house sitting empty in Aptos, over near the coast. I have
not rented it out, nor have I ever planned to. The legal hassles are
too great. Including, on another subject, renters deciding they won't
pay rent and then having social welfare agencies paid for by tax
dollars fighting "for the rights of the renter." (Legal Aid Society,
for example.)

I know a woman here in Santa Cruz County who had some Mexicans
renting from her. They trashed the house, didn't pay their rent, and
it took her six months of court battles to have the Mexicans finally
expelled. And of course she never saw a dime of the rent that was
owed to her. The legal fees of her renters were paid for out from
public funds.

And people wonder why some of us are in favor of rounding up these
miscreants and their government associates, holding quick but fair
trials, and then executing the whole lot. From what I have seen,
several hundred thousand Americans and foreigners living in America
need to be tried and then liquidated.

--Tim May
"Cyphernomicon"             | black markets, collapse of governments.