CDR: Re: A successful lawsuit means Gore wins!

Marc marc at mtjeff.com
Thu Nov 9 14:38:42 PST 2000

On Thu, Nov 09, 2000 at 10:38:28AM -0500, Declan McCullagh wrote:
> I haven't found such a requirement in Florida law. See below.
>
> -Declan

>  In counties where paper ballots are used...

You quoted FL 101.011. However, FL 101.5609 is a much clearer point against
the "must be to the right" claims.

101.5609(6):
   Voting squares may be placed in front of or in back of the names
   of candidates and statements of questions and shall be of such size as
   is compatible with the type of system used. Ballots and ballot
   information shall be printed in a size and style of type as plain and
   clear as the ballot spaces reasonably permit. Tear-off stubs shall be
   of a size suitable for the ballots used and for the requirements of
   the voting device. The ballots may contain special printed marks and
   holes as required for proper positioning and reading of the ballots by
   the automatic tabulating equipment. When ballots are bound into pads,
   they may be bound at the top or bottom or at either side. In the case
   of the paper ballots, all offices and questions may be printed on the
   same sheet of paper.

On the other hand, I've heard claims that people realized their mistake and
tried to get a new ballot but were refused. This is clearly illegal:

101.5608(2)(b)
   Any voter who spoils his or her ballot or makes an error may
   return the ballot to the election official and secure another ballot,
   except that in no case shall a voter be furnished more than three
   ballots. A spoiled ballot shall be preserved, without examination, in
   an envelope provided for that purpose. The stub shall be removed from
   the ballot and placed in an envelope.

--
Marc